Uber in Calgary.
Uber had many issues in Calgary, we all know how it was shut down in 2016 due to legislation issues in Alberta. Drivers used to drive with class 5 licence and everything was simple.
- Got a car?
- Make money.
Now things are different and it is difficult for Uber to acknowledge it to the potential drivers. More restrictions are there to “improve” the standard for the riders. But the reality is, to “restrict Uber drivers”, to make it harder for us to join and make a living.
In this article I will explain to you how to start driving for Uber in Calgary, in short, yet detailed form.
List of thing you need to get, to start driving for Uber in Calgary.
- Car not older than 2007, in good working condition (They will make you do car inspection anyway). It has to be 4 door with 5 seat belts, not rebuilt or salvaged without commercial branding.
- Class 4 Drivers licence, to get it you will have to do your medical exam, knowledge test and road test again.
- “Clean” driving abstract for past 3 years. (Maximum 2 minor convictions or 1 major conviction, for over 4 demerit points, Uber will not let you drive)
- Commercial registration, you would need to get commercial number plates in order to start driving for Uber in Calgary.
- Car Inspection (ELVIS), anywhere in Canadian Tire or other places, you will have to pass the inspection. If it fails, you have to fix the issue and do it again.
- Proof of work eligibility, Canadian Passport, Permanent Residence card, or Work permit.
- Insurance, you will have to get ride share insurance from one of Uber’s partners. My TD insurance disowned me after I started driving for Uber, just saying, I had to get a new insurance. Good news, you can cancel your insurance without fee if they do not offer the service. Bad news it can be $40 to $100 more expansive.
- Sole Proprietorship registration in local registry.
- Open a GST Account on CRA website (Can be done after).
Is it worth it driving for Uber in Calgary?
Simple answer is YES.
It all pays of very fast, and all of this restrictions are there to prevent people from starting. There are less drivers and for this reason we can make more money in Calgary. I was lucky to have a friend and got the sign up bonus from Uber in my first 20 trips.
Watch my video on YouTube “How to start driving for Uber in Calgary”.
List if requirements from Uber:
Uber offers up to $1000 as your Sign-Up Bonus, it is different from city to city.
In Calgary, I got only $300 at the time of Sign-Up, but it is different from city to city in Canada. and depends on Uber alone.
Read More Blog Posts.